I was going to save this until next Halloween, but what’s a little hot toffee apple between friends?
- 1 Bag of Small Cox Apples – about 10
- 1 Handful of stolen McDonalds Coffee Stirrers
- 400 g Caster Sugar
- 100 ml Water
- 1 Teaspoon Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- A Jam Thermometer
- Wash the apples in very hot water and rub dry with a cloth. This is to wash the wax off which will stop your toffee sticking.
- Poke sticks into the apples and sit them on a baking tray covered in baking parchment.
- Heat the sugar and water on a medium heat in a heavy pan.
- When the sugar is all dissolved add the vinegar and syrup.
- Put the thermometer in the pan and boil until it reaches 140 degrees or ‘Hard Crack’ on the thermometer *giggle* My thermometer says Hard Crack is 155 so I went for 145. It takes a bit of good hard boiling to get there.
- Dip and swirl your apples quickly, but VERY carefully!
- Allow the excess to drip off then place them on the paper to set.
- Pour any spare toffee onto a greased tray for nibbling later.
This makes the crackliest shiny toffee coating: So sharp I cut my tongue on it.
The toffee gets stickier the longer you leave the apples out, so eat them all as fast as you can.